[LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Aug 31 15:27:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM, rosea.grammostola <
rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/31/2012 04:56 PM, Nils wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:43:13 +0100
>> Harry van Haaren<harryhaaren at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>  On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Nils<list at nilsgey.de>  wrote:
>>>
>>>  The direct and naive solution would be a reversed engineered kontakt
>>>>

>>> The community could approach NI and ask if they're intrested in
>>> supporting
>>> a Linux version of Kontact? I volunteer to write the email, and if they
>>> laugh then what harm done...
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>>

>> Regardless if it was done or in the past or not It would be very nice of
>> you to write an email to them.
>>

> Maybe an email from linuxaudio.org works better? Someone who speaks in
> name of an organization?

NI already have inhouse versions of many of their software tools for Linux,
and they use it in house for some development. I met with them in person
several years ago when I was teaching in Berlin. They are quite big
technical fans of JACK and of Linux, but they (probably correctly) see a
tiny, largely irrelevant market for native releases for these platforms.
They spent quite a bit of effort to get their standalone versions on OS X
to talk to JACK if it is installed, but chose not to document this because
hardly anyone wants it and when they do, they figure it out for themselves.

A lot of people (even on this list) don't understand the extent to which
*supporting* a piece of software is often a far bigger cost than the
initial development, and providing support for a platform with very few
users is an issue for companies who want their customer service reputation
to be very good (as NI does). It doesn't work for companies like this to
just release something "into the wild" and forget about it.

--p