[LAD] DrMr: a new lv2 sampler/drum machine plugin

Nick Lanham nick at afternight.org
Fri Feb 17 15:52:26 UTC 2012

On 02/14/2012 06:49 PM, thijs van severen wrote:
> i must say that i agree with Sebastian (yes, i am biased ;-)  You
> might end up rewriting a part hydrogen.  Maybe not at first, but
> gradually the number of feature requests will go up and you might end
> up doing duplicate work. There is nothing wrong with that of course,
> but it just doesnt seem like the most efficient way to go.
> On the other hand i am also _very_ much a fan of the plugin model
> rather than individual apps that are glued together using some type of
> session manager...
> I'm no programmer, and i do realize that it takes more than a
> one-liner to but -allow me to dream for a second- would it not be
> great if we could combine the effort that goes into various apps that
> all do more-or-less the same thing ?
> grtz
> Thijs

Yes, I'm very aware that I'm duplicating a certain amount of hydrogen
effort here.  I'd love it if hydrogen had a nice api to plug it into a
module like this, and I know there's already an effort to turn hydrogen
into an lv2 plugin (composite).  However, the sad fact is that at the
moment, there's nothing that fills the niche the DrMr is in (composite
is similar but has no real control interface).  So yeah, a libhydrogen
would be great, with all the code to read hydrogen files and load up
drum kit data, and somehow play/process samples, and DrMr and Hydrogen
and anything else could share that, but I somehow don't see that coming
anytime soon (unless someone who knows the hydrogen codebase better than
I wants to tackle it).  I'm also not convinced that something written as
a plugin has the same needs as something written as a stand-alone app,
so I really think the code would need to be well split/modularized,
rather than trying to wrap all of hydrogen up in an lv2.

In other news, DrMr has had a lot of fixes checked in recently, and (as
far as I can tell), is currently fairly stable.  So, if you're using it
and seeing weird behavior please a) update, and b) let me know if it's
still happening after updating.

-Nick