[LAD] [ot] rme fireface: weird balanced output measurements

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Feb 18 12:58:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 22:55 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> * There are quite good handheld audio RMS meters which don't
>   cost a fortune (but they are in the higher price range).
>   They use analog integrated circuits which can be quite
>   accurate - at least for normal audio use. They are not
>   laboratory standards of course.

Still very expensive. I only own an elCheapo multimeter, just good for
coarse measurements. If I have trouble at home where something better is
needed, I ask a friend who owns a measuring bridge and several
oscilloscopes etc., if I do a job and something is "really" broken, in
other words more than just a controlable voltage stabilizer needs to be
calibrated, I ask to give it to a workshop. IMO it's not only expensive
to own all the gear that sometimes is needed, it also takes too much
space. If equipment is seldom used, it tends to fail at the moment it's
needed. IMO an averaged audio engineer who does mixing, wiring and
repairs without a big fuss, doesn't need such gear.

- Ralf

OT: I would like to own a Hameg oscilloscope with the so called
"Komponententester" (translated perhaps something like "semiconductor
tester"). I wonder if there's any other company offering this.