[LAD] DrMr: a new lv2 sampler/drum machine plugin

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Sat Feb 18 13:10:41 UTC 2012

On 02/18/2012 12:05 AM, m.wolkstein at gmx.de wrote:
> if i designed the hydrogen-sample-editor the main concept was to make them non
> destructive and bind all sample settings to h2 song-files.

Ok, so it's by design. That's what I wanted to know, thanks for
clarifying this. I can also understand the rationale behind this.

>   * export sample-editor results as an audiofile

That would be very convenient.

>   * quick create new instrument button. this will simple create an new h2 instrument which
>     include the resulting sample. my idea is, simple arrange the new instrument directly
>     below the instrument that you currently modifying. the problem here is that you have
>     to store the resulting audio file. currently i have no idea where i store this files.

That would be even more convenient. But if I have the first option above
then I can easily create the new instrument myself. Anyway, an obvious
default for the filenames would be ~/.hydrogen/data/samples/%s-%d.%s,
where %s.%s is the basename of the original sample, and %d is some
serial number to make the filename unique so that you don't overwrite
any existing files.

> but this improvements cannot reconstruct the main goal from the sample editor rubberband
> implementation. i mean the instrument-layer-rubberband-batch-processor-function. :)

Yes, that's a very nice feature. But DrMr could support this in the
future as well, as soon as hosts adopt the LV2 Time extension which is
still in the making. So I'm not sure that I buy your argument that the
two are for totally different use cases. :)

What's special about Hydrogen, however, is its user interface. People
like it exactly because it's so dead-easy to use for the purpose that it
has been designed for. And now we can use Hydrogen to create the
drumkits and patterns that we need, and then employ DrMr to port them
over to Qtractor where the rest of the arrangement can be done. That's
very useful already, even though DrMr has only been announced less than
a week ago. ;-) DrMr definitely fills a gap there.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag