[LAD] memory allocation for the real time thread, opinions wanted

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 27 08:59:19 UTC 2012

Hi Iain,Can you use any alternatives such as:
a. Don't malloc/memcpy space for these messages in the RT thread - just use the copythat is on the ringbuffer and move the write pointers when you have used the message.
b. Just write memory pointers on to the ringbuffer: this gives you quite a lot more spacesince a memory pointer is likely to be smaller than you message union. Your code canassume that when the low prio thread has put something on the ringbuffer it cannot befreed/rereused until the read index has moved past it.

Both of these methods are affectively the same, what you are trying to do is providea method that the low prio thread is responsible for both malloc and free. You can alsoreduce the amount of copies you are making although that is not a big overhead sinceyour message union is probably pretty small.
If you think the RT thread is going to need these bits of message memory for more timethan the size of the ringbuffer then you could consider using pointers but passing themback from the RT thread over another ringbuffer when you no longer need them.
Regards, nick
"at the end of the day its nil nil at half time”.
Trevor Brooking