[LAD] setBfree - Fast Leslie is weird...

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Jul 17 22:29:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 06:49:22PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Could it be that you've also accidentally sent other MIDI-CCs to
> setBfree that changed the Leslie's behaviour?

Don't think so, as I get the same effect just using the virtual
keyboard and fast Leslie.

> The wobble (wrong octaves?) is not unexpected for two independent
> doppler-shifts and is also present in the real thing(TM).
>
> Yet, the Lesie is currently indeed the weakest link in the whole
> emulation. You're correct in saying that it is wrong. Yet, IMHO it still
> does sound OKish.

I did some quick measurements on a 392 Hz (G) tone. The frequency
modulation index is way too high for anything of the physical
dimensions of a Leslie LF drum rotating at 330 rpm (that value was
confirmed by the measurements). And that is even without considering
diffraction effects which would result in an even lower modulation.

> Your criticism is just and appreciated. Please bear with us - I suppose
> that we'll eventually end up rewriting the effects which carry a lot of
> legacy code. -- If you can spare the time a DSP expert like yourself
> would be very welcome.

It's not meant as criticism. *If* I find the time (which won't be
in the next few months - I'll be writing DSP code but not for audio)
I'd be happy to contribute to this great project.

Ciao,

--
FA