[LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sat Mar 3 22:36:10 UTC 2012

On 03/03/2012 11:20 PM, Albert Graef wrote:
> On 03/03/2012 08:25 PM, David Robillard wrote:
>> Sure, you could just implement dumb raw OSC recording and playback, but
>> there's little point in using a DAW for that (not to mention little
>> practical musical use)
>
> But that's exactly what I want. For starters, even just simple messages
> consisting of address and POD (like a double value) would be useful. The
> data might originally be generated with a multitouch OSC device, say,
> and would be recorded by the DAW, which would also let me play back the
> data, sending it either to an OSC-capable plugin or an external OSC
> application (Pd, say) which would know what to do with it. Call it
> automation, if you want. But I think of it as sequencing of OSC
> messages; I need the data to be on its own track where I can edit, cut,
> copy and move it around as needed. DAW and sequencer programs are good
> at these things; that's what they are for. And no, I don't want to use
> MIDI instead, where I have to cram everything into control changes or
> (N)RPNS and loose both resolution and the descriptive OSC addresses.
>
> I don't know if it's of practical use for anyone else, but time and
> again I would have had good use for this apparently simple feature. If
> anyone knows a sequencer or DAW which can do what I sketched out above,
> please do tell me. OSC has been around since 1997, for crying out loud.
> It's about time that sequencers do more with it than just automatizing
> the transport controls. ;-)
>
> Albert

Hi Albert,

I use Algoscore for sequencing OSC.
http://kymatica.com/Software/AlgoScore

There was a presentation at Piksel a few years back about this one:
https://github.com/sentinelweb/TimeLine-OSC
and http://www.iannix.org/ may do the job as well.

..but neither aims for, or comes close to "DAW" functionality.
robin