[LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sun Mar 4 02:31:11 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 23:20 +0100, Albert Graef wrote:
> On 03/03/2012 08:25 PM, David Robillard wrote:
> > Sure, you could just implement dumb raw OSC recording and playback, but
> > there's little point in using a DAW for that (not to mention little
> > practical musical use)
>
> But that's exactly what I want. For starters, even just simple messages
> consisting of address and POD (like a double value) would be useful. The
> data might originally be generated with a multitouch OSC device, say,
> and would be recorded by the DAW, which would also let me play back the
> data

I suppose this would be useful in some limited sense.

However, I doubt Ardour ever will, nor do I think it even should,
support sequencing of events that are transmitted by some mechanism
other than Jack.  That would be a gigantic inconsistent mess for more
reasons than I feel like listing, and trying to use UDP or whatever
directly in a DAW raises a very large number of very deep questions for
no benefit (hell, anti-benefit, Jack rules).  Integration with IP based
OSC transport should happen via a separate Jack program.

Put in other terms, I think Ardour should support "OSC Messages".  Not
OSC in UDP/TCP/IP.  If the community solves Jack OSC, it will get Ardour
OSC pretty quickly.  However, I am kind of through with OSC personally,
so I don't intend to put any real effort into the Jack side of that
problem.

> OSC has been around since 1997, for crying out loud.
> It's about time that sequencers do more with it than just automatizing
> the transport controls. ;-)

As Paul pointed out in his response, the reason for this lack is that
OSC simply doesn't do what 99.999999999999% of the people who use a
sequencer want to do.  Blindly recording events with no editing or
display ability simply isn't that useful, and certainly doesn't
constitute a MIDI replacement.

That said, it's not like a note standard would actually be difficult.
It will (well, may) get actually made when someone actually needs it.
Since we live in a somewhat closed and more flexible world, the Jack
universe could be the place where that happens.  I doubt it will
elsewhere, the commercial guys have gone with custom incompatible USB
protocols for hardware, and simply don't care about software interop.

-dr