[LAD] OSC sequencer idea (was: Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!)

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 21:44:47 UTC 2012

It seems this debate is how to represent OSC messages in a sequencer.
I've thought about this before, and the idea I always had in my head
was something tracker-like, where you would assign columns (or rows..)
to a message path, and specify whether the arguments are ints, floats,
etc.  For each argument the column would contain subcolumns with
fields allowing editing of these values.  Any row that is all "nil"
would mean "do not send a message."
The editor might allow a special column type called "note" which is
represented on-screen as a note name (A#3 or whatever) but sends out
the value as an integer or float.
Alternatively the editor could be told the min/max values of the
subcolumn and represent it as horizontal bars or a line plot, etc.

I even started working on such a thing once, with the intention of
controlling sequences for custom synths written in e.g. Chuck or
PureData.  However, I never got far with it as I had other things to
do.

In any case, in this paradigm, the user would define a patch in Pd
(or....) which accepts certain control or trigger messages, and
therefore the sequencer would need to be told what messages to send
it.  No need to "standardize" the messages for any particular
representation, since it would be different for each patch anyways.
(The "sequence + patch" would be considered together as the music
file.)

What I like about this is that it would allow a user to use whatever
program he/she wants for sound synthesis, but have keep a consistent
sequencer interface.  You could even use multiple back-ends for sound
synthesis in the same track.

p.s. thanks Jonathan for bringing up libmapper.  For those who don't
know, libmapper is an attempt to create a "glue" layer for
OSC-supporting programs.  Instead of standardizing on a set of
messages, the idea is to instruct sending programs to translate their
messages into the format required by the receiver, including any data
transformation (scaling, etc).  This allows programs to use any
message names they want, keeping the usefulness of readable,
program-specific semantic naming schemes, while still being able to
connect to each other.  Still under heavy development, but it's quite
functional, web site is at http://libmapper.org

Steve