[LAD] preset saving in sessions

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sun Mar 4 21:47:44 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 16:17 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM, J. Liles <malnourite at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > BTW, I don't know if LV2 supports this, but if it allows plugins to
> > *SAVE* non-generic (that is to say, session specific) data wherever
> > they want on the filesystem, then that, IMHO, is badly broken. There
>
> its not always LV2 that is the cause of this.

Well, LV2 is never the *cause* of this, it's an inherent problem to
plugins that use files.

> consider the SFZ file format. it refers to other audio samples. it
> doesn't require that the references use absolute paths, but they can.
>
> so now create a plugin that allows the user to alter what samples are
> used for various note numbers or velocity values or whatever (i.e. a
> reasonably capable sampler) and ask it to save its current state. it
> gives you an SFZ file to stash away in a location of the host's own
> choosing. but what do the contents refer to?

Yeah, this problem sucks.  The only solution is for the plugin to map
the paths inside that SFZ file.

It is (inherently) necessary for the plugin to map *ALL* paths in its
state for this to work.  If they happen to be in some pre-existing file,
well, that's probably going to be pretty annoying, but you have to map
them all the same.

-dr