[LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Mon Mar 5 16:43:11 UTC 2012

On 03/05/2012 10:33 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>
>> - Direct access plugin/insert parameter changing tool-tip added.
>
> I'm not sure it makes a terrible sense to post this to LAD rather than
> to LAU, but I'd just like to notice that I'm not extremely happy with
> the current implementation of direct access for the following reasons:
>
> 1. Only one setting per plug-in is available, so I can't have control
> over, say, attack and release in a compressor simultaneously.

the so called "direct access feature" does only affect one and only one
plugin parameter at a time, that being an implementation/design
limitation due to the fact that the provided slider widget is scalar and
1-dimensional by nature o.O

to tweak more than one parameter simultaneously, for what i'm curious on
how you actually could do just that with one 1-dimensional slider, i'll
assume you're asking for simultaneous access over the same display
space, then look at the generic plugin dialog (plugin/properties) or the
plugin own gui editor (plugin/edit), if any.

> 2. The widget is hard to aim (which is probably a trade-off with an
> aim to make UI compact). Maybe some phat-like slider would do the
> trick

true. however i have no interesting plan on that regard. maybe, if
someone steps up with a patch or sth... ;)

> 3. The step for mouse wheel scrolling is too large by default and
> doesn't change to a more granular one with Alt/Shift modifier buttons.

true and the good news are it can be fixed sooner perhaps ;)

> Re widgets, here is another idea:
> http://www.darktable.org/2012/03/bauhaus-widgets/
>
> I'm not totally sure about it yet, I've yet to compile that branch.
> But just so you know... :)

too bad it looks like it's gtk2. i'm sure someone could rip it off as a
qt4 widget and drop it in without much brain-sweat, someone with a lot a
time to spare? ;)

don't take me wrong. i love the ideas

cheers
--