[LAD] First release of zita-ajbridge

Stéphane Letz letz at grame.fr
Mon Mar 19 12:19:25 UTC 2012

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 21:22:28 +0000
> From: Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>
> Subject: [LAD] First release of zita-ajbridge
> To: Linux Audio Users <linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org>,	Linux
> 	Audio Developers <linux-audio-dev at lists.linuxaudio.org>
>
> Hello all,
>
> The first official release of zita-ajbridge is now available at
> <http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/downloads>.
>
> Quoting the README:
>
> This package provides two applications, zita-a2j and zita-j2a.
> They allow to use an ALSA device as a Jack client, to provide
> additional capture (a2j) or playback (j2a) channels.
> Functionally these are equivalent to the alsa_in and alsa_out
> clients that come with Jack, but they provide much better audio
> quality. The resampling ratio will typically be stable within
> 1 PPM and change only very smoothly. Delay will be stable as
> well even under worse case conditions, e.g. the Jack client
> running near the end of the cycle.
>
> You will also need the latest zita-resampler and zita-alsa-pcmi
> libraries.
>
> All feedback welcome.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA

Really interesting....

I'm wondering how your code could replace the "adapter" mechanism that I did in JACK2 for that never worked fully reliably. Basically the "adapter" idea is a bit more general in the sense that it aims at "adapting" streams in different context: like network <==> Audio API (CoreAudio for OSX, ALSA for Linux, PortAudio for Windows...), or several ALSA devices..etc..
(The adapters are also developed as "in server" clients, this make a bit more easy to add them in a running session using "ladish" kind of studio management approaches...)

How complex do you think it would be?

Thanks.

Stéphane