[LAD] First release of zita-ajbridge

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 11:54:36 UTC 2012

Hi Fons,

I gave it a shot yesterday evening. It was not meant to be a thorough test but just a check whether I could just replace alsa_in/out with zita_a2j/j2a in my environment:

- Core 2 Duo 2 x 2.4GHz (cpufreq disabled)

- kernel 3.2 from liquorix (debian i686) with thread_irq enabled (but no complete preemption patch)
- RME HDSP + Multiface II

- jackd2 (latest from svn, before it got moved to github) running in sync mode, at 96kHz, buffer size 2 x 256 frames

- zita_a2j running on ALSA loopback (loopback card with only two pcm substreams enabled when loaded to the kernel)

My .asoundrc is described in the unofficial ALSA WIKI page about the loopback device used as a bridge for non-jack apps. I basically set the loopback card h/w and s/w parameters to match my jack setting.

The result is not as good out of the box as with alsa_in. I have a wav file which is a 440Hz signal running for 2mn. When I play it through mplayer -ao alsa and alsa_in on the other end of the ALSA loopback, I get no interruption at all. Your zita_a2j app quickly introduces interruptions (dropouts probably) which happen when it displays something about synchronization in the terminal. I played with the resampling factor but it did not improve anything in terms of dropouts. On the other hand, alsa_in was just fine.

Not sure whether you can use this at all as a data point, but something is not optimally running. I have no time to do more thorough tests.

Cheers!
J.