[LAD] Non Session Management

rosea.grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:47:18 UTC 2012

On 03/26/2012 10:32 PM, Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> I've been able now to launch the NON session-manager.
> - by writing an own simple build-script.
> ( is my system borked ? or just cmake ?)

cmake, iirc it's just ./configure, make, make install

> I have to say, I'm counting me as a fan of J. Liles Software.
> Somehow I agree with his style,
> I would described as unbloated, but still pragmatic and effective.
>
> - - -
> In my opinion NSM is the best approach to session management
> so far and I'm encouraging every audio-app dev. to jump on this train !
> It is non-intrusive, has the required functionality.

All though I think I share your opinion here, I do realize that
developers jumped on trains before... I can also imagine some
frustration if you just added JS to your app and now this new train is
coming by. That's why a close research on the characteristics,
advantages and disadvantages is important imo. If at the end NSM it as
good as it looks, we can jump on that train together without hesitation.
We have to be sure somehow that this is a train which takes us where we
want to be (blue water with a yellow beach), in such a way that we don't
need another train afterwards to be able to reach our destination.
> - - -
> > There some minor things, I'd like to see:
>
> - sessions should have an option to optionally restore window-position
> and -size of client apps too  (would this work for workspaces as well,
> possibly xinerama ?)

I use fluxbox for this.

> - tools as nsmd, jackpatch, osc_send should show a help message,
> when started from command line.
>
> - the session-manager should have an additional help button, showing a
> window describing the possible actions (how to duplicate a session,
> work with templates) - just like non-seq has a window for key-strokes.
>
> - in the session-man. there should be a hint where the data is stored.
> I'd like to always know where it is.
>

> Questions remaining:
>
> - where would audio apps store large (audio) files ? a custom path ?
>
> - appart from large files (audio), all configuration should go to the
> instances session folder - right ?
>
> - where is the integrated chat client ? ;)
>

> Possible Bugs
>
> - although jackpatch is loaded, some connections (jack-midi) are not
> restored here,
> switching from one to another session (while the jack-audio-connection
> is being done)

Known bug, should be better in git ('next branch'??)

> - switching from one session with yoshimi to one without it closes yoshi
>    however:
>    switching from a session with two non-seq instances to a session
> with only one non-seq instance
>    doesn't close the second instance
>

> Once  this is bug-free,
> this session-manager is a real enrichment to the audio community !
> There's almost a fun-factor using it. I'm going to spend my time
> switching sessions soon. :)

I do share your optimism, but I don't want to celebrate to early this
time...

Regards,
\r