[LAD] Non Session Management

rosea.grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 20:27:53 UTC 2012

On 03/28/2012 10:20 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 03/28/2012 10:43 PM, J. Liles wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM, rosea.grammostola
>> <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I am able to save Ardour sessions and share it with my friends. They
>>> are able to use them (if Ardour and the right plugins are installed).
>>> How is this possible with NSM?
>>
>> Pretty much the same way you do it with Ardour. Just make a tar.bz2 of
>> the session directory (e.g. "~/NSM Sessions/Songs/The Song I Want To
>> Share") and send it to your friend, they untar it in their session
>> root, and NSM will find it. In the general case, this will work fine.
>> Of course, just like with Ardour, whether the session actually loads
>> and works properly depends on whether or not your friend as the same
>> programs and plugins (or compatible versions of them) installed. Now
>> if you later want to merge the two sessions, you're really on your
>> own. In that case, making your session folder into a git repository
>> would probably work better than just using tar. Non-DAW and Non-Mixer
>> project data is textual and can be meaninfully managed by a line-based
>> diff algorithm like GITs, but MIDI data (Non-Sequencer)--not so much.
>
> Nice.
>
> I've to find another question or user scenario then,

And/ or developer scenario's of course. E.g. examples how hard and
cumbersome it is to add NSM support to an application, especially with
certain applications. The disadvantages of the API, the problems you get
when you want to use it crossplatform, or without a graphical interface,
etc. etc.

  which will proof