[LAD] Non Session Management

rosea.grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:35:09 UTC 2012

On 03/29/2012 04:22 PM, Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> Am 29. März 2012 13:16 schrieb thijs van severen>
>>
>> IMHO making such a matrix is the only good way to
>> make a decisions of any kind
>>

> I disagree here: Session managers have different concepts.
> A simple matrix doesn't do it (show it).
>
> IMHO user _experience_ is most important.
> 1. is it stable and reliable
> 2. does it do the job
> 3. behaves it practically (work-flow, feeling, user-interface)
>
> Thus it is best to simply try - a thing that is difficult, as long
> as an application is incomplete.
>
> Fortunately NSM and the other SMs have advanced enough to try.
> As I did mention, I have a good feeling with NSM
> and I'm trusting this thing to become complete.

I think a conceptual analyses is also needed on forehand, without the SM
being complete. You could think of questions like:
* is it (in theory) possible to use it crossplatform,
* is it (in theory) possible to use it without X,
* is it (in theory) possible to use it via the network
* etc

You don't want to support an API which can't run (in theory)
crossplatform. You have some standards a SM should be able to do, like
there is for JACK and all other kinds of stuff.

But I agree, user experience is important too. So Thijs, Louigi, ... ,
did you try it already? What are your experiences?

> Thanks for your opinion.
> I tend to agree with you and Renato:
> rather not make it too complicated,
> but usable and reliable.