[LAD] NSM - handling large files

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Mar 29 21:45:06 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:23:30PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> otoh. now in particular, those GUI (file menu) restrictions that NSM is
> posing on applications is something i won't comply to any time soon, not
> even later. so sorry. it's way too restrictive to me and my own
> belongings. from what i read, applications must then be modified to run
> in either of two or more awful different session modes eg. managed and
> non-managed? for x-sake, as if we hadn't enough of that already... i am
> so sorry again, but such a design won't fly much above the grass in my
> lawn... it gives me the shivers o,O

You can't expect *any* session management system to work in
a reliable way without those rules. That's simple, basic, and
fairly easy to grok logic. The consequences of an app ignoring
this could be far more damaging than those of a user willingly
and knowingly keeping some data 'external'. And they will hit
the average user who doesn't even think about doing such things
and who expects his SM to just work.

Taking these rules into account is no big deal anyway. At least
not if your app has a clean control structure.

Again, the fact that the designer(s) of NSM have clearly stated
these rules is a sign that he/she/they know what is involved, and
has/have the courage to say this instead of going 'the easy way'.

Ciao,

--
FA