[LAD] [OT] need help from a Qt guru re: slow graphics

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sat May 26 13:35:06 UTC 2012

Greetings:

The problem: When I build Kdenlive for my Arch 64 system it compiles
without problems and starts up okay. After that the sluggishness of its
response is almost unbearable. For example, I've timed up to 10 seconds
between a mouse click and the resulting action, e.g. right-click to Add
Clip,  and everything stalls badly when the program is calculating audio
or video thumbnails. Response time gets better after running the program
for a while, but getting it going is rather frustrating.

I've already searched Google and asked about the problem on the Kdenlive
forum and got no useful replies, hence my request here. Some of you use
Arch systems, and some of you know Qt well enough that maybe you can
advise me on this problem. (I'm hoping for a relatively simple solution,
of course).

Incidentally, the problem occurs with Arch's packaged Kdenlive and the
binary I compile with the build script. I just upgraded both, the
problem is still there. Other large Qt apps don't have the problem, e.g.
QTractor. The problem is also absent with Kdenlive on my 32-bit machines.

Btw, video is an nVidia GeForce 7600 GS, with nVidia's driver.

Best,

dp