[LAD] Plugin buffer size restrictions

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sat May 26 20:27:10 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 20:42 +0200, Adrian Knoth wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 02:23:52PM -0400, David Robillard wrote:
>
> [Something about buffer sizes]
>
> I didn't follow the discussion, but maybe you want to address something
> related, too: make the buffers 32-byte aligned, so that plugins can use
> AVX.
>
> I don't know who's responsible for providing the buffers (the plugin or
> the host) in LV2, so my comment may not apply at all.

Ah, right, that's another thing.  The hosts do.  In reality most
probably are already aligned, but the weird cycle size thing some do
circumvents that, of course.

As it happens, none of this buffer size stuff is actually guaranteed by
Jack, which would need to happen to make implementing buffer size
guarantees actually possible.  IIRC in Jack1 it is always true, but not
always for Jack2.  If so, there needs to be Jack API for the host to
know what it can actually guarantee.

-dr