[LAD] Plugin buffer size restrictions

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun May 27 11:16:26 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 08:48:07PM -0400, David Robillard wrote:

> > Nothing cloak and dagger about it. If someone is prepared to pay me for
> > writing a report on something I do have strong opinions about (and very
> > probably because of that), should I refuse that ? It's a consultancy
> > job just like any other. And at least one other well-known developer
> > got the same.
>
> No, you clearly wouldn't refuse it, but you could at least attempt to do
> a competent job.  Since you didn't, I in turn clearly am not going to
> pull any punches:

The full report is over 100 pages, and with what you've seen of
it you are not in any position to judge its merits or faults.
And it was certainly not all 'negative', on the contrary.

> You got your money, so hey, you win.  Free Software didn't, however,
> and that's the part that saddens me.

First, I wouldn't be so sure of that.
Second, you wrote:

> I mud-sling only about *behaviour* which is actively harmful to the
> adoption of open audio technology.

So it's my *behaviour* that bothers you. So be it. I'm not going
to change my opinions in function of the advancement of Free
Software or whatever 'higher cause' or marketing campaign, ever.
I've done my part of advocacy for Linux Audio, and I'm still doing
that, by example and pointing out both its great features *and* its
shortcomings, not by keeping my mouth shut about the latter. If some
potential user asks me what is the state of audio plugins in Linux
I'll tell him/her that there are some great ones, but also that some
things are missing, and that 50% of what is available is pure crap.
Since I'm usually known or introduced to sich persons as 'the Linux
Audio nerd', that may come as a surprise to them, But they generally
appreciate the honesty.

Ciao,

--
FA