[LAD] Embedded linux: Multitrack + Playback/Record

Egor Sanin egor.sanin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 14:45:35 UTC 2012

On 11/20/12, Prasant J <pj0585 at gmail.com> wrote:

> @Paul: linux version 3.2 running on ARM Cortex-a8 (700 MHz), please
> let me know, if this is sufficient.

Yeah you should be fine.  Folks have jack running on ARM11 (raspberry
pi), and as far as I understand Coretx-a8 has a form of parallelism
that allows it to execute instructions faster than the ARM11.
Unless you're planning to use external audio interfaces, and/or are
going for extremely low latencies you shouldn't have any trouble.

> @Egor: bang on! I will read more about ecasound & nama. Thanks a lot
> for pointing out that to me.
> Can I assume that both are popular, stable & actively developed?

No problem!  Always happy to spread the console word.
Ecasound has been around for a while, has excellent features and is
still being actively developed.  I use it quite a bit, and I'm sure
you'll find that it can do whatever it is that you desire, except for,
maybe, fly you to the moon.

I haven't used Nama too much, but I know that the author hangs out on
this list, and there are a number of grateful users who push all (or
at least a lot of) their audio through it.
Only thing about Nama is that I do believe you need at least a console
to run it.

Good luck!