[LAD] CAPS* as LV2

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Thu Nov 29 22:15:52 UTC 2012

[Aurélien Leblond]
>Quick question: does the CAPS* plugins suite exist in LV2 format (I'm
>almost sure the answer is no, as I have looked everywhere, but you never
>know...).
>
>If not, could somebody who knows the code of these plugins let me know how
>hard it would be to port them to LV2? Are there any pitfalls to look for?

The C* plugins are still being actively developed, the rarity of
public releases notwithstanding.  Of course, if you're happy with a
port being a static snapshot, this may not bother you.  In any event,
an automated wrapper is probably the best option.

(There is a central abstraction layer internal to CAPS that does allow
you to implement alternative plugin APIs without having to touch
existing code while likely being compatible with future releases.  If
you want to go down this road you'll need to live with three things:
the plugin abstraction makes use of C++ templates, it's constructed
around port struct definitions from ladspa.h, and port default values
are only described roughly, using the idiotic mechanism that LADSPA
provides.  Ultimately however this approach would be a lot more work
than the wrapper, for likely negligible efficiency gains.)

In the end, if you're looking for a constructive solution, I think
that extending the host application of your choice to support LADSPA
might prove to be the most fruitful direction.

Thanks for using CAPS,
Tim