[LAD] [LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

John Rigg ladev2 at jrigg.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 11:42:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:01:23PM -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> Let's say I want at least 24 ins.
>
> What do I get? Where can I find a HOWTO on my options?

Here's a HOWTO on using multiple Delta 1010s (which can also be adapted
for other cards):

http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html

Note that the 1010 is still in production and there are so many of
them out there that used replacements should be available for quite
a while if new production ceases.

Another cheap option is a used RME HDSP9652 (also still being made)
with 3xADAT I/O. The PCIe alternative is the HDSPe RayDAT mentioned
elsewhere in this thread.

Going up the price scale there are RME MADI cards, both PCI and PCIe
versions. I used an RME HDSPe MADI with an SSL Alpha-Link for a couple
of years with excellent results, and I don't expect either of those to
go out of production for a while yet.

Future availability of PCI motherboards might be a concern, but there
are still many new boards being made with PCI slots.

John