[LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Thu Oct 11 17:10:41 UTC 2012

Le Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:24:22 +0400,
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hey fellas!
>
> Would like to present an article I've written. Mostly wrote it to
> start a conversation and hear what others have to say on the subject.
>
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_progress
>
> You can comment here or on my textboard (which does not require
> registration).

Interesting reading.

From an user perspective, I have been used GNU/linux from quite some
time now (back from my 386 box), and I have seen very things to appear
like ALSA and JACK.

In recent years, the biggest improvement was jack2 on multiprocessor
machines. It is just much more easier to get the job done because the
processor use is lower. This give us also a better stability at high
system load.

.But in the same time, I have seen a couple of choices coming, which
are not directly related to the linux audio community, but can
influence us badly if such idiotic choices are becoming the norm
into GNU/linux in the future.

More specifically, if I do understand the need for some big
corporations for stuffs like policykit and consolekit, I just have
no use for them in an audio pro box. So, I don't want them, and the
recent decision to include a java script interpreter into polkit (in
order to try to make it to become manageable...) will certainly not made
me to change my mind:

I have other things to do with my time than to learn JS in order to be
able to make system administration, and I will not pay for that
either.

The worst thing with polkit, what is completely idiotic, is than it is
a mandatory dependency of gnome. In consequence, when installing any
gnome related program, this will install polkit and consolekit, and
something as simple and efficient than startx will become broken,
because as soon than polkit is installed, it is forcing you to run
consolkit in order to be able to launch xorg with your favourite and
*kit free wm/desktop.

In consequence, my box today is not only completely windows free, but
also completely gnome free.

The kernel is a terrific tool. It just do its job, and it do it very
well. And we have plenty of terrific audio tools.
To speak generally, I think than another consequence of such idiotic
choices is than we need to keep a close eye on what is going on
in userland.

Dominique

--
"We have the heroes we deserve."