[LAD] [LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Fri Oct 12 15:19:18 UTC 2012

On Friday 12 October 2012, at 10.27.39, Nils Gey <list at nilsgey.de> wrote:
[...]
> make more music
> make it public
> make other people want to use the same tools as you
[...]

On that note, some stuff I've done for one of my current projects, Kobo II;
chip themed music and sound effects:
	http://soundcloud.com/david-olofson

My focus shifted away from music many years ago, and I've more or less been
out of the loop ever since The Great API Discussions. (JACK, LADSPA, GMPI, XAP
etc.)

These days, I'm running my own business, and since part of that is developing
games, I'm kind of getting back into music agan. However, I'm pretty much
exclusively using weird custom tools (as always!), so I'm not sure I can
contribute much to The Cause anyway, I'm afraid...

The tracks above are all realtime synthesis on a custom engine, ChipSound,
using geometric waveforms and noise only. It's a very simplistic synth from
the DSP point of view, but it's driven by a per-voice microthreaded realtime
scripting engine, which is how it can still produce somewhat interesting
sounds. No pre-rendered waveforms, filters or anything so far, but there's
off-line rendering, modular voices and stuff in my development tree.

All sounds and music coded in a standard code editor (KDE Kate) so far, but
I'm planning on throwing the MIDI master keyboard in the mix later on.

No proper home yet, but the latest release as of now is found here:
	http://olofsonarcade.com/2012/03/13/chipsound-0-1-0-released-zlib-
license/

Of course, I'm still developing and running everything on Linux! The ChipSound
development tree has JACK support (too many issues with the SDL->PulseAudio-
>JACK->ALSA stack), and I'm using mhWaveEdit and JAMin for recording and
mastering the demo tracks.

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
|   http://consulting.olofson.net          http://olofsonarcade.com   |