[LAD] [OT] Real-time threads on openSuSE 11.4

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Oct 19 13:02:52 UTC 2012

Hello all,

My ex-collegues at Alcatel are screaming for help. They want to run
an app (as root, debatable but that's another story) using SCHED_FIFO
threads on an openSuSE 11.4 system.

Using the 'default' kernel (which has CONFIG_PREEMPT not set), this
works. Using the 'desktop' kernel (CONFIG_PREEMPT=y) they get an
EPERM when trying to start a RT thread, even as root.

As I haven't used SuSE for ages, has anyone an idea of what is
happening here ?

TIA,

--
FA