[LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

Nils list at nilsgey.de
Sat Sep 1 15:02:46 UTC 2012

Please note that the following may sound very
sarcastic, but actually it is not (except the part about my bank
account). I expect this type of work that needs to be done to develop
and create a modern, state-of-the art sample lib like Orchestral
Strings or a Choir incl. wordbuilder from 'scratch', or from our
current Open Source knowledge.
The timespans may be horribly off, but I suspect in the end they would
be longer than speculated here, not shorter.

Am Sat, 1 Sep 2012 14:34:19 +0200
schrieb Emanuel Rumpf <xbran at web.de>:
--
> 4. create free, libre sample libraries
>
> this appears as the most effective stategie and long time solution

It is. So let's begin.

I am willing to do the lead here. But I need someone who pays me and a
small team of developers and recording engineers for about 3 years.

I will drop everything what I am doing right now and concentrate fully
on this job. Whoever pays please write me a private mail and I'll send
you my contact and bank account data.

More expenses: ~50 musicians for a shorter timespan (maybe a few weeks
or months, taking into account that there is maybe no actual knowledge
of the recording process for this task so we need to experiment more) to
do the actual recordings, recording equipment, computers, workspace and
renting places/studio to record.

The first months will be only research and design, then two
years you would not see anything except changes in git account because
we need to develop an open sampling format and a GPL engine/sample
host. And then the recording and post processing.

Given that this would be a GPL and CC-By (or similar) project, already
paid in advanced, mouth-to-mouth propaganda about a zero-cost and open
source lib will do all the marketing.

My alternative plan would be to do 10 to 20 years of long-time research
on physical modelling of instruments, instrument groups and an A.I.
musical interpreter.
Longer timespan, but in the end everything real and unreal will be
possible and the sampling-era will be over.