[LAD] Kontakt sampler format (Chicken Systems Translator)

Tom's Lists lists at dswusa.com
Mon Sep 3 20:10:18 UTC 2012

I know this is somewhat already covered in this discussion, but this is
straight from the head of Chicken Systems (a friend of mine).  I asked
him if there was any way beyond converting the samples (which Translator
can do just fine) to get the Kontakt samples into Linux, and this was
his reply:

"All the scripting is lost, there's nothing really to convert it to
since no other platform is as intelligent. Of course, EastWest uses
Python and I forgot what MachFive 3 uses, but I'm not sure how demanded
such a conversion is."

So, until NI ports Kontakt to Linux, or someone else makes an equivalent
or better sampler for Linux, we'll have to stick with some form of
Windows.  Unless I've missed it, has anyone gotten it to work with Wine,
or through Windows in VirtualBox?  I'm building a machine that will have
most versions of Windows as VirtualBoxes, just to experiment with it, &
to get away from Windows, albeit slowly, but this isn't my DAW, just a
strong Linux (Fedora 17) box.

-Tom

Dyrnwyn Studios & Workshops
Blomkest, MN