[LAD] Kontakt sampler format (Chicken Systems Translator)

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 20:23:54 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Tom's Lists <lists at dswusa.com> wrote:

> So, until NI ports Kontakt to Linux, or someone else makes an equivalent or
> better sampler for Linux, we'll have to stick with some form of Windows.
> Unless I've missed it, has anyone gotten it to work with Wine, or through
> Windows in VirtualBox?  I'm building a machine that will have most versions
> of Windows as VirtualBoxes, just to experiment with it, & to get away from
> Windows, albeit slowly, but this isn't my DAW, just a strong Linux (Fedora
> 17) box.

I'd be wary of running Kontakt in a VM, as you want a lot of RAM to
get good performance (especially if you are using multiple instances).
You be better off getting a dedicated machine to run it and use it
like an outboard hardware sampler (send MIDI out, get audio back, this
is exactly how I use it). Haven't tried it on Wine...

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com