[LAD] Fwd: nsm patching

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 22:43:36 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Alex <linux at alextone.info> wrote:

> I write this with some caution, as i have no wish to start another
> lengthy discussion on the merits of various session managers.
>
> I'm using non-session-manager to manage my projects, and i will say here
> it's been successful and time-efficient, to put it mildly. As a user
> with a lot to startup, nsm has enabled me a lot more time to write, and
> spend less time on non-writing tasks. (no pun intended)
>
> I know this discussion has been had before, but can i ask devs to take
> another look at nsm-patching their apps, if not already done?
>
> The following would be particularly appreciated, here at alextone.
>
> Muse2
>
> (This one is a biggie, as i pretty well write nearly all midi)

I agree.

> a2jmidid
>
> (The default is no -e switch. I don't know why this is, as it seems to
> be that a2jmidid -e is more likely to be used by default, than not. If
> this is not nsm-patchable, can we at least have a build option that
> creates an additional bin exec, something like "a2jmidid-all", or
> "a2jmidid-e"?)

Well, this is a trickier issue. I personally start a2jmidid -e along with
jackd--not inside a session. The program doesn't have any state and doesn't
behave differently in or out of a session. Really the only reason that it
exists in the first place is that JACK's own MIDI device support is
(supposedly) broken.  The real solution here is to fix JACK's MIDI device
support (if it is indeed still broken). But first, someone needs to do the
actual testing and review to determine what problem, if any, a2jmidid
actually solves--there's a lot of confusion regarding this issue.

> linuxsampler
>
> (I start this one from a script that includes the init-after-exec
> switch, with a default template. Is LS nsm-patchable to "save" a
> particular .lscp, so it can be started automatically with a session?
> i.e. Session one uses "orchestra.lscp, session 2 uses "jazz-combo.lscp,
> and so on)

Do any LinuxSampler devs even read LAD?

> Jconvolver
>
> (Same as above. Can jconv be nsm-patched, so i can use different
> IR.confs for different sessions, and a specific .conf can be saved with
> a session ?)

This is a good one. I use jconvolver a lot personally (but NOT jc_gui).
What is needed is a frontend or optional GUI for jconvolver that allows
selecting a config (preferably managed more like a preset than the configs
are currently), minor tweaking (predelay), and saving local changes to it.
And one that looks and behaves nothing like jc_gui ;-)