[LAD] Weird USB MIDI sysex problem

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Aug 31 08:53:28 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-08-31 at 07:15 +0100, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 04:56:24AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > http://www.kasploosh.com/projects/CZ/how_to/amidi-cz101-receive.html
> I have a proper copy of the Casio MIDI spec here.  That's not the
> problem.
>
> The problem is that you can't send sysex in anything other than
> multiples of three bytes, and you need to send seven bytes and then
> wait for a response from the CZ1000.  The seventh byte is never sent.
>
> It doesn't look like it's possible to do it with USB devices in Linux
> at least, because of the way that USB MIDI devices are handled -
> unless I'm missing something.

Then your MIDI implementation list is different to the one I found in
the Internet, since a dump request by this list needs different values
than those you used.

You send 44 00 00 for Casio, that's correct compared to the list from
the Internet, then you sent 70 for MIDI channel 1, that's also ok
compared with this list, but after that you sent 19, weil the Internet
claims it should be 10 to request a dump.

Than you sent 60, regarding to the Internet list its correct to request
the patch from current sound area.

You add two times 00, but the list in the Internet says that the ok
string 70 31 is needed.

On Fri, 2013-08-30 at 21:31 -0700, Devin Anderson wrote:
> You can also use `midisnoop` for this purpose:
>
>     http://midisnoop.googlecode.com/

Thank you :).

Regards,
Ralf