[LAD] Usb Audio Driver

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 01:01:53 UTC 2013

On 12/10/2013 12:44 PM, Lucas Takejame wrote:
> Hello LAD, I'm working in company which is developing a guitar pedal
> board which runs Linux (arch) and my task now is to make the kernel's
> usb audio driver more appropriate to our sound card. I'm kinda lost in
> this since i have a brief knowledge on usb protocol so I was hoping that
> you could give me some directions on how can I optimize the driver
> latency wise, any tips?

There's several folks here who do this, but your best bet is to look for
advice (or contractors) on the alsa-devel mailing list.[1]

One option is to implement a class-compliant USB Audio device.  Then
your device will work out of the box with all operating systems.

If class-compliance doesn't suit your device... then look for examples
in the linux kernel in sound/usb where there's a few non-class-compliant
cards cards supported there.

In addition, check out these resources:

    * Takashi Iwei's ALSA driver tutorial[2].  Concentrate on the
      PCM interface portion of the document.

    * Linux Device Drivers from O'Reilly media.[3]

-gabe