[LAD] Community Interaction and Working Together

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Fri Dec 13 01:07:39 UTC 2013

Le Fri, 20 Sep 2013 14:54:46 +0200,
michel dominique <dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch> a écrit :

> On ven. 20/09/13 13:11 , Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello all Users & Devs of linux-audio-land,
> >
> > Moving forward from the topic on Aeolus and forking projects,
> > perhaps it is wise to look at how the community as a whole can grow
> > from this situation:
> >
> > 1) It seems the frustration of forks is mainly due to lack of
> > communication.
> > 2) Had appropriate communication been in place, patches could have
> > been merged.
> > 3) If 1) and 2), then the community flourishes as a whole.
> >
> > In the Aeolus thread on LAD, Michel Dominique wrote (and I feel its
> > relevant here):
> > "That imply we must communicate more with each other"
> > "I think this is a big problem, and not only related to Fons work,
> > or the LAD, but to the whole community."
>
> One think I have done is to add in the About box a few buttons to
> launch things like the mail list subscription page,  mailto and irc.
> The function look for $BROWSER, if it doesn't exist, the user get the
> opportunity to set it, and the browser will do the rest.
>
> It is too early now for me to know if it make a big difference. This
> will not replace an email list, but can be a good complement, and
> make life easier for someone that want to get in touch with the
> development, or have an issue, a comment or whatever to ask or report.

A little follow up. A few months later, I can see this added feature
didn't changed much, at least for what I can see. I get a few direct
mails, but not many. And no spam -:)

In the meantime, I started some threads in both the forum of my
distribution, gentoo, and on a French forum, LinuxMAO. I get very
interesting returns on these treads, and very different as well.
Gentoo's users are generally more skilled than LinuxMAO's users. So, in
one thread I get interesting returns mostly from a developer point of
view, in the other, mostly from an user point of view. Both are
interesting and mostly positive, even if sometime it can not be easy to
figure out what is going on for an user, this due to a lack of specific
information.

In consequence, these forum threads are definitely a good
complement for the mailing list to me.

Dominique