[LAD] io GNU/Linux LiveDVD/USB ... 64-bit iso up :)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 31 19:36:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-31 at 18:32 +0100, Brendan Jones wrote:
> On 12/31/2013 06:08 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Dominique Michel
> > <dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch <mailto:dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch>> wrote:
> >

> >     In gentoo, we have another politic with the licences. The free
> >     licence are accepted by portage by default, and for the other licences,
> >     the user must accept them on a per package basis. For linuxsampler,
> >     both the portage versions and the pro-audio overlay live version are
> >     considered as GPL2, as stated into the source code.
> >

> > It isn't clear that linuxsampler's license is legal. They use the GPL2
> > and then add restrictions, which is prohibited by the GPL. It may or may
> > not affect the license, but either way it is a wierd situation.
>
> I think there is a definitive reason why upstream chose this path in
> this case. I'm not privy to this, but it is sad, because it is an
> awesome project, but we have to err on the side of freedom ...

I don't have time to search my mails now, but I had a discussion about
this issue and there's a famous example, where somebody add something to
the GPL similar to "only allowed to use the software for good, not for
evil".

I can search this "famous example" next year, but now my telephone,
resp. the people calling me are impatient. I'm forced to join a
party ;).

It's not good to exclude linuxsampler, since not only the software is
awesome, but also the free sample libraries are awesome.

Again: Guten Rutsch! to all how are still in 2013 and a Happy New Year!
to all who are already in 2014

Ralf