[LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Feb 8 22:14:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 03:29:06PM +0000, John Rigg wrote:

> No, it depends on which esoteric piece of hardware the pretty picture
> on the GUI looks like, of course.

:-)

Digital emulations of well-known analog equalisers have become a genre
of their own... Usually the 'good imperfections' (noise, distortion,...)
are emulated as well, as if the creators of those EQs actually added
them on purpose. I can't imagine any of the designers at e.g. Neve or
SSL ever doing that - they went for the best technical specs they could
have.

Not that all equalisers are equal, far from it. Some of those classic
designs had some unusual features such as higher order shelf filters
which are actually quite nice to have.

I wrote an equaliser having those some years ago (not yet published,
maybe I will some day), and it has become my 'workhorse'. You can
see some of the frequency responses here:
<http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/shelf2filt.html>

It's possible to obtain almost the same  with a 'classic' parametric +
shelf EQ, but it requires using two or three sections in a coordinated
way - not very practical.

Ciao,

--
FA