[LAD] making sense of Jack MIDI; or, is this an appropriate use for Jack?

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Sat Feb 16 15:43:35 UTC 2013

On Feb 15, 2013, at 15:19 03, M Donalies wrote:

> Why is it that I can find
> entire books on programming the linux kernel, but so little about either Alsa
> or Jack?

In a nutshell: because the communities to which the Linux kernel is relevant are larger, by several orders of magnitude.  They also include significant multinational corporations who have bet their entire future on its success.

The lack of audio programming docs used to upset me also, until I realized that, as pro audio developers, we're just a flea on the back of this elephant called Linux.  I've learned to accept the fact that, when learning to do something new, I'm going to be spending a lot of time studying source code and reverse engineering other applications.  That's a basic cost of working with a free (in both senses) and open system.  Other systems exist that have well established documentation systems, but extract costs in other ways.  Take your choice.

Cheers!

| "There are three principal ways to lose money: wine, women, and         |
| engineers.  While the first two are more pleasant, the third is by far  |
| the more certain."                                                      |
|                                 -- Baron Rothschild, ca. 1800           |