[LAD] making sense of Jack MIDI; or, is this an appropriate use for Jack?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Feb 16 19:13:33 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <
pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
> There are other use cases for MIDI that don't involve soft synths, or even
> don't involve music at all. What I find laughable is the arrogance of
> pretending that everybody fits a single use case.

it certainly would be laughable if someone were to do that. but it appears
that this is yet another de-personalized attempt to point the finger
specifically at *me*. if so, then i find that a bit odd, given that i have
repeatedly explained right here on this list, even with the last few
months, the pros and cons of ALSA vs. JACK MIDI for different purposes.

i have no idea why you find it necessary to cast me as some kind of special
case in this community. i happened to be involved in the design of JACK,
which has been successful against my own expectations and these days
against my own judgement. i'm also the principal developer of ardour which
has been quite successful and have managed to make a living from (which was
never the original goal). i also happen to have strong opinions on what
good audio/MIDI software design looks like, and i don't shrink from sharing
those with this (and other) contexts.

i understand that you're upset by my historical dislike of the KDE/Qt
"world", but if you actually bothered to engage with me rather than just
throw caustic barbs in my direction, you might find that (a) it has
ameliorated somewhat over time (b) its largely irrelevant. it might also be
possible to understand that what i have "against" the ALSA sequencer is not
the functionality that it provides but its implementation as a kernel-side
facility, which i believe (and can substantiate with numbers and facts and
old mailing list discussions) is the result of beliefs about linux that may
have been true but have not been true for many years now.