[LAD] Interoperability between session management systems

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sat Feb 23 23:36:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-23 at 23:22 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:05:07 -0500
> David Robillard <d at drobilla.net> wrote:
>
> > I was tinkering with saving sessions in a format that is just a
> > directory with a shell script with a standard name (and perhaps some
> > standard arguments) which you call to restore or do other things.
> >
> > Not sure if that's a really feasible solution in general, but it's
> > basically the only way to save sessions in a way that don't require a
> > specific session manager to load, and doesn't impose any file formats.
> >
> > Actually being able to restore sessions decently from a script requires
> > a few more sophisticated jack command line utilities (like a
> > jack_connect that can wait for clients and so on), but those are useful
> > anyway.
>
> Just a quick thought: How do you get the programs to save their state/file?
> Does this not require at least some incoming message handling by the individual programs?

This idea obviously only applies as a portable way to store sessions.

The question you just asked is essentially "how do session managers
work?"  Well, in various ways - we have several.  Trying to make a
common protocol or whatever isn't "interoperability", it's making yet
another session management API/protocol.

-dr