[LAD] zita-ajbridge and aloop

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jul 15 11:46:05 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-11 17:58, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 03:59:09PM +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig
> wrote:
>
>> i'm having serious troubles using zita-ajbridge with alsa
>> loopback devices.
>>
>> my basic requirement is, to allow *any* ALSA-only application to
>> be "jackified".
>
> The normal way to do that would be the ALSA's pcm.jack device.
>
> In your $HOME/.asoundrc:

yeah i know.
however, i was not interested in the "normal" way, but rather in the
"explicit" way, where i would do everything manually (hoping to build
an asoundrc on top of my experiences with doing it manually)

> Did you use
>
> hw:Loopback,1

doh!

this is basically the answer i was looking for.
thanks a lot!

>> what are the requirements for an application to use
>> zita-ajbridge?
>
> Wrong question.
>
> zita-a2j and zita-j2a are *not* ALSA devices to be used by an
> application - rather the inverse: they are applications that use an
> ALSA device (which should be a hw: one). It's aloop which presents
> itselfs as a device, tries to masquerade as a real hw: device but
> doesn't exactly behave as one.

yes, i was aware of that.
but then i also was under the impression that i "had it working" with
alsa_in/alsa_out (though in practice i had some problems doing so when
composing the email, so i silently skipped that part), so i was
assuming that the problem was really with zita-ajbridge. from my
experience with both mplayer/zita-ajbridge (mplayer refusing to write
to the device when not being in S16_LE/2chan mode) and with
v4l2-loopback devices, i assumed/know that sometimes both producer and
consumer must agree on the same format.

anyhow, thanks for your quick answer.

fgamsdr
IOhannes