[LAD] 14-bit CC / (N)RPN midi controllers question

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sat Jun 8 15:59:49 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 20:58 -0400, Tim E. Real wrote:
[...]
> That regardless, I must make my own full encoding code anyway for
>  our Jack midi driver, because Jack midi delivers separate events.
> But that's totally understandable :)

I really think that, in Jack (and LV2), it should just be mandated that
these (and all other multi-) events be shipped as one, for the same
reason that running status is forbidden: it's annoying and entirely
pointless.

Optimising for a 7-bit wire should be the driver's problem, if a wire is
even involved...

Some big fancy programs will have to deal with such things anyway, but
the reality is that these events just aren't supported by most Jack/LV2
apps.  I think it's a lot more likely they would be with a normalisation
guarantee.

Some consider this best practice even over the wire (with the additional
safety measure of nulling controllers at the end, but we could skip
that): http://www.philrees.co.uk/nrpnq.htm

Cheers,

-dr