[LAD] Distributing software using NTK

Karl Lindén spray.sucks at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 23:20:47 UTC 2013

2013/6/17 Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com>:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 13:36:38 -0700
> "J. Liles" <malnourite at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Nick Lanham <nick at afternight.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm working on a project using NTK as the gui toolkit, and am
>> > trying to decide if I need to distribute NTK with it or not.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any suggestions on this front?  Do most
>> > distributions have NTK packages by now, or most not?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any pointers,
>> >
>> > Nick
>> >

>> A few distros package NTK; KXStudio, AVLinux, Gentoo and Arch, to my
>> knowledge. Keep in mind that NTK has yet to be 'officially' released.
>> As to the question of distributing it... Well, what do you mean by
>> that exactly? You can always refer to (a specific version of) the git
>> submodule in your repo. Likewise, if you're doing your own packaging,
>> you can statically link your program with NTK.
>
> On Arch Linux it is only in the 'Arch User Repository', which isn't
> official. That won't stop Arch users, but it is at least a sign that
> NTK isn't very well known or wide-spread.
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

I would advice you to bundle a version of NTK because it might make it
easier for users to build the program from source if NTK is not yet in
their package manager. If you do this please supply maintainers with
an option in the build system to choose whether to build against the
bundled library or against the system library. That way there is
almost no loss in bundling NTK because the user or maintainer can
choose best method for their environment.

Regards,
Karl