[LAD] A3 clicks

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Jun 18 16:12:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 08:24:29AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> inevitable, since you are changing the order of processors in the channel
> strip. in some setups, you will notice the click as this happens, in others
> you will not.

This makes A3 unusable for live work. For the simple reason that nobody expects
such a thing to happen, not any more than e.g. using a PFL should cause clicks.
I will refrain from mentioning the not-so-kind adjectives that would be used
to describe a HW mixer doing such a thing.

> i considered a design in which every possible metering point had a "tap"
> already in place, but this doesn't work for the "custom" option, hence the
> current design.

Why shouldn't that work for the custom point ? After all it *is* a 'tap'
and not a processor. And even if it is implemented as a processor (with an
audio output that downstream depends on), the custom point could just stay
in place once created, along with any other metering point, active or not.
As a bonus you can at least see were it is, even if not active. ISTR things
were like that in earlier releases, but I could be mistaken.

Ciao,

--
FA