[LAD] A3 clicks

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Jun 18 23:00:05 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 06:28:39PM +0200, Nick Copeland wrote:

> Fons - could you outline a few of the needs to relocate
> such taps during a live performance ?

Sure I could give examples of when/why I'd change the metering
point, or use a PFL, or do anything similar that shouldn't affect
main outputs during some live activity. And any such example could
easily be brushed aside by saying - rightly - that I could have
handled that particular case differently. But all that would be
completely irrelevant. Selecting points to monitor or measure is
part of the way a mixer is used, in whatever application.
Sometimes you need to, many times it's done just for reassurance.
Ask any sound engineer what he'd think of a mixer that produces
clicks in the main signal path when you want to measure or hear
some point in it. There is just no reason why it ever should.
Then try to convince him/her that it's 'inevitable'.

Surely, a car would still be usable if it goes into 5th gear
when you switch on the radio. You'll just learn not to do that
when going uphill. You can probably still fly an airplane if
the autopilot goes off course whenever the 'fasten seatbelt'
light is switched on or off. After ending up in Parma a few
times while the destination was Berlin, even the dumbest pilot
will know what to do. And yes, you can probably still use A3
when it produces clicks when no half decent mixer would.

Ciao,

--
FA