[LAD] 4-6 or 8 cores ??

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jun 24 08:25:12 UTC 2013

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 03:48:21 +0200, Jonathan Woithe <jwoithe at just42.net>
wrote:
> Having said all that and knowing the sort of work you do, I would
> probably err on the side of getting as many cores as you can reasonably
> afford.

Strange, people claim that everything works without issues for old PCs,
with one or two cores, even without a using a kernel-rt, so I would try to
get such a machine that does everything that's needed, instead of getting
more than is needed, not only to get less power consumption/heat/noise.
IOW I wouldn't ask for the amount of cores, but for a setup that is known
to run without xruns, jitter etc.. A Ferrari is much faster than a lorry,
but would you prefer a Ferrari to a lorry for transporting band equipment?
"Tuning" is for optimizing a system, not for having the "most" of what
ever you can get.

For me this request sounds like ... I want to buy a new amp. What's better
35 W or 150 W?

I would ask ... I want to buy a new board/CPU and I own sound card Xyz.
What mobo/CPU do you use with this card and are there any issues?

2 Cents,
Ralf