[LAD] Bitwig beta for Linux reviewed

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Mar 8 13:31:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 10:57 +0100, Thijs van severen wrote:

> 2013/3/8 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
>         On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 14:27 +0100, Adrian Knoth wrote:
>         > On 03/06/2013 01:05 PM, Dave Phillips wrote:
>         >
>         > Hi!
>         >
>         > >
>         http://www.linux-community.de/Internal/Artikel/Print-Artikel/LinuxUser/2013/01/Bitwig-Professionelle-Musik-Workstation-fuer-Linux
>         > >
>         > >
>         > > Excellent review, in German only, with some enticing
>         screenshots.
>         >
>         > Well, it's still vaporware. For how long are we already
>         waiting for
>         > Lightworks' Linux release? Exactly.
>

>         It's odd hype only!
>
>         2 Cents,
>         Ralf
>

> fyi: i'm beta testing Lightworks on linux and it very real
> but it's a free world, so you are of course free to ignore this
> fact  ;-P

I'm interested but where can I get a copy to test it myself? If I should
like it, when can I buy it and how much will it be?

        "Since we already have a long waiting list of interested beta
        testers, we are no longer accepting new beta requests. If you
        would like to receive Bitwig news, please sign up for our
        newsletter." - http://www.bitwig.com/bitwig-studio

        Btw. not easy to read, since the fonts are small dark grey on
        black

I even couldn't watch the YouTube link that was posted some time ago,
since this wasn't available in Germany.

I read thousands of times that it should be a very good native Linux
application, but than I always read that not all plugin formats are
supported, that audio binding should be less good than for other Linux
apps, such as Ardour. Now it's written that there are technical issues,
but not what kind of issues, just that those issues will be fixed, as
soon as it will be released.

Simple question: Will it be released this year, next year, in 5 or in 10
years?

I suspect in 10 years Ardour, Qtractor, Rosegarden and other apps, will
have made progress too.

At the moment all I read about Bitwig only is hype!

Regards,
Ralf