[LAD] Mixing audio: Implementing pan and balance

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Sat Mar 16 23:50:52 UTC 2013

On Mar 16, 2013, at 06:16 46, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I don't know how they handle it today, in the past German radio station
> didn't play recordings with phase errors and they neither fixed it in
> any way to play it.

This is very much the way it is in the US today, where phasing errors (or even gross differences in average power between L and R channels) can play havoc with the MPX stereo encoding used on analog FM carriers.  If you want airplay there, your mix better be right!

Cheers!

| "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of very, very long cat.  You pull    |
| his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles.  Do you    |
| understand this?  And radio operates exactly the same way:  you send    |
| signals here, they receive them there.  The only difference is that     |
| there is no cat."                                                       |
|                  -- Albert Einstein, upon being asked to describe radio |