[LAD] Xiph.org - Video:Digital Show and Tell - No difference between analog and digitally processed sound.

John Rigg ladev6 at jrigg.co.uk
Wed May 22 19:44:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:38:37AM -0400, Bill Gribble wrote:
> There are real effects due to clock jitter on
> both the A/D and D/A end that can cause small but measurable
> distortions.

Not to mention audible if it's severe enough. Decimation filters
that only give 6 or 12dB attenuation at fs/2 (typical in many pro
audio ADC chips) can allow audible aliasing too. I wouldn't expect
an oscilloscope to have enough resolution to detect these effects,
but a good spectrum analyser and/or a good pair of ears often can.

John