[LAD] Xiph.org - Video:Digital Show and Tell - No difference between analog and digitally processed sound.

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sun May 26 15:52:13 UTC 2013

On 05/23/2013 02:18 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 09:38:40AM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>> moreover, i'd expect src circuits with only -12dB at fs/s to be
>> unusable in practise, because the aliasing artefacts would be
>> obvious. it means the top octave from 10-20hkz would be polluted
>> with junk at -24 to -12dB,
>
> It doesn't have to mean that. If the filter gain is -12 dB at
> 0.5 Fs that doesn't imply it will be -24 dB at Fs - 10 kHz.

yes, sorry. i misread that one - for some reason, i had a 12db/oct
filter in mind...

<snip>
> The potential intermodulation effects referred to in the paper
> by Julian Dunn are real, but not realistic. If such signals
> (high energy well above 20 kHz) are present you'll have some
> serious problems even in a completely analog system.

probably :)

but i found the link between passband ripple and pre-echo really
fascinating - this fact was completely new to me.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net