[LAD] [LV2] LV2: Communicate from the DSP to the UI

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sun Nov 10 18:58:04 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-11-09 at 21:33 +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:
> > Perhaps a good candidate for "official" (i.e. included) example?
>
> eg-scope, sure, fine with me; but please give me a few days to add some
> more comments to the source: elaborate on Atom-msgs and clearly note
> that the scope display itself is horribly wrong design. It's actually a
> perfect textbook example of what *not* to do:
>
> * no thread sync. it redraws somewhat randomly
> * it's neither accurate nor stable
> * it displays raw samples (a proper scope should^Wmust not do that)
> * the display itself just connects min/max line segments
> * no labels, no scale, no calibration
> * ...
>
> maybe Aurélien is going to address some of these issues, and his project
> will eventually be suited better for inclusion as official example.
>
> Alternatively removing the drawing routine would IMHO be appropriate for
> an example atom-vector communication plugin.
>
> @Aurélien: are you planning to implement a trigger mechanism and/or
> history? any plans to add up-sampling and interpolation? what about
> markers and numerical readout?

I meant the generic idea of trucking stuff via messages for
visualizations, not so much this specific implementation.  For the
purpose of an LV2 example, though, many of these aren't so important.
It's more about showing the structure than an actually decent scope.

Maybe a really simple meter would be a better one though.

Anyway, no rush with me these days, as usual :)

--
dr