[LAD] zita1 RIP

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Sep 4 19:09:56 UTC 2013

After more than 10 years of service my first ever Linux system
died yesterday. The original configuration was P4, 0.5G memory,
two IDE HD of 60G each, and it pretty much stayed like that.
Two years ago the power supply blew up and was replaced by an
external one (too big to go inside). Last year the first HD
failed, and yesterday evening the second.

This was the system on which I developed almost everything I
ever released, so it carries lots of memories...  Maybe one
of the reasons it decided to go to the eternal processing
fields was that it couldn't really cope with A3. I've mixed
20+ tracks using A2 on that system, but 350MB resident memory
for an empty session was just too much...

The new zita1 will probably be a Fujitsu P510, one of the
reasons being that this is one of the few still having at
least one PCI slot, so I can still use my sound cards. Any
suggestions for alternatives are welcome !

More CPU and memory will in the end make me less frugal, but
I'll resist the tendency :-)

Ciao,

--
FA